Happy National Donut Day!
Are donuts your favorite baked good? For me, they are tied with a good cobbler!
Here’s an easy recipe that is a bit healthier than your standard cake donut.
It is gluten-free and contains no white sugar, white flour, or polyunsaturated vegetable oils.
Vegan Double Chocolate Donuts
- donut pan
- 2 TBSP flax meal
- 6 TBSP coconut milk canned, full fat
- 1/3 cup apple sauce unsweetened
- 2 TBSP avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup rolled oats processed into flour
- 2 tsp baking powder non-aluminum
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 3 TBSP coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 TBSP vegan chocolate chips I like Lily's or Enjoy Life
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil your donut pan with avocado oil.
- In a mixing bowl, add flax and coconut milk and leave for 5 minutes.
- Put rolled oats in food processor or blender and grind into flour.
- In another bowl, add the oat flour, cacao, baking powder and soda, coconut sugar and cinnamon and mix together.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, oil, apple sauce, and vanilla to the coconut/flax mixture and combine. Pour this liquid into the dry ingredients and scrape bowl and mix well.
- Add batter evenly into your donut pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 14-18 minutes. Check with cake tester to check for doneness.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes. Remove from pans using a spatula if necessary.
If you get to travel this summer, check out these shops!
Wheatsville Coop, Austin, TX – Get the Austin Cream Pie! You will thank me!
Voodoo Doughnut, Portland OR – The little voodoo doughnut is creepy but tastes great with pretzel and raspberry jam!
Dun-Well Doughnuts, NYC – The first vegan doughnut shop in NYC.
Donatsu, Los Angeles – In Little Tokyo, you’ll find artisan donuts that are oishii!
The Cinnamon Snail, NYC – Highly original fun flavors! The Cinnamon Snail cookbook has good donut recipes.
Peaceful Provisions, Peekskill, NY -No palm oil used! Unique square shape!
Mighty-O Donuts, Seattle – Organic cake donuts! To make a rainy day or any day better!
Devi’s Donuts, Long Beach – A friendly family makes these donuts and serves LBC farmer’s markets. Haribol!
Beet Box Bakery, Denver – Get one with beet pink icing!
Donut Friend, Los Angeles – The Polar Berry Club and Jets To Basil are some of the prettiest donuts out there! This donut shop will make custom ones for you too!