Here’s that survey that’s been going around! Since you don’t really know much about me, I figured this might be a fun way of introducing a few facets of my veggie life.
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
I’m really just a water person and will use various non-dairy milks in recipes, but I must admit that Silk Nog is delish!
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Potato Fennel Soup, Veggie Bi Bim Bap, Thai Tofu Curry
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Popcorn brings back bad high school job memories so I do not partake in any version.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Probably gluten steaks…was only vegetarian for 6 months and tried to make fake meaties. I did not boil the gluten, so you can imagine how rubbery and inedible it could have been!
5. Favorite pickled item?
All glories to lime/mango pickle! Go to an India store and buy some authentic pickle or if you have a mango tree pick it green and make your own achar.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
TXT. files in a folder on my computer and a 3 -ring binder with some printouts in those nice plastic sheets so they don’t get messed up.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Boo hoo, mostly trash and disposal because we live in an apt, but come January…HOUSE time and compost time!
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Puris (fried Indian puffed breads)
Kichari (rice/mung bean stew fit for peasants and kings)
Blueberry vegan cake donuts
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
This is more funny: My brother cried at his 10th or 11th birthday party because I mixed my ketchup and mustard together and swirled my corndog in it. Im not sure why it pissed him off so much, but it’s still a really great way to eat them (if they are vegan). Try the Twinkie pan and the recipe from the Vegan Lunch Box
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Don’t really like frozen cold desserts so I have to admit I haven’t tried that many due to lack of enthusiasm. Carob Rice Dream Bar was tasty and I didnt get the choco buzz which I am not fond of.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
Toaster oven and Vitamix tie
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
My mom gave me this cookbook as a college graduation gift with $500 because I told her I was now vegetarian. I think it is out of print now, but it has beautiful pictures of every recipe. Not a purist book as it does have seafood recipes in the back for those “flexitarians”.
The Complete Encyclopedia of Vegetables and Vegetarian Cooking
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Any Indian food
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
Tempeh is my least favorite, but I know its healthier.
I’m kinda going through an eat less soy desire thing, but I dont have much time to make my own seitan. Tofu is the most affordable of all 3, so I eat that the most.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
If everyone was home, I would say Lunch….everybody’s digestive fire is burning the best then!
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
Various glass jars Im saving for sprouting or storage or just because Im a cheapo and dont want to throw them away. Husband Whole Foods 365 Italian Sparkling Water
20. What’s on your grocery list?
Nothing now…too much food buying at Whole Foods this weekend
21. Favorite grocery store?
I like HEB Central Market because I can find almost everything I like, I like the layout because I can totally skip the meat/seafood depts and they carry a lot more ethnic/specialty items than Whole Foods.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
What the Hell Does A Vegan Eat Anyway
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately
India Tree natural food color….DO NOT BUY this.
I bought it to make some orange crackers for my daughter’s fall lunches…next time will just try to find some annato.
I spent $19 on a set of 3 (red, yellow,blue) and the yellow was turmeric water….bleh, I can make my own turmeric water. Still looking for the nice vegan colors that come separately and made with veggie glycerin.